Sunday, March 12, 2017

Win Son

This place has been on my list for a long time, and I'm glad I finally trekked to BK to try it.  I enjoyed the food but do think it's a bit over-hyped.  That said, I'm a huge fan of more regional Chinese food in general, even though this is Taiwanese-American fusion.  Not nearly enough Taiwanese places in NYC!

Of the appetizers, we tried the oyster omelette and the fried eggplant, both of which were quite different from what I was expecting, but I would say both were fairly good, inventive takes.  All the flavors in the eggplant dish came together really well, and the oyster omelette was crispier / less gooey than the original, which I quite liked actually.


  

Of the entrees, we tried the flies head, their famous big chicken bun, the beef roll, and two specials of the night -- beef noodle soup and pork porterhouse.  I really liked the flies head -- a little bit sweet + spicy, and especially good with some extra chili on the table.  The big chicken bun was also a highlight, with a sweet bun and plenty of juicy, crispy chicken.  Beef roll was good but not that memorable, sadly, as beef rolls are one of my favorite dishes.  The beef noodle soup was rather salty and also a pretty big departure from the original (e.g., thick slices of braised beef instead of more traditional cuts of marinated beef), but I liked the chewiness of the noodles.  I wasn't sure what to expect for the pork porterhouse, but it was essentially nicely fried pork chop.


        

The mantou with ice cream was only okay; as much as I like ice cream, the very plain vanilla ice cream detracted from the dessert.  The fried mantou with condensed milk was good though, so maybe they could just use better quality / different flavor ice cream.




I also tried the Breakfast of Champions cocktail, which was stronger than I expected but very delicious.  The creaminess made it a very good complement to the salt and spice of some of the dishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment