Friday, March 10, 2017

The Sweet Shop



I was ordering dinner on Seamless last night when this place popped up as recommended; except I've never ordered dessert on Seamless before...how did they know about my sweet tooth??

So of course I had to go check it out in person today, and it was wonderful. Impressive how much variety and goodies they can pack into such a small space. The biggest value prop, in my opinion, is the availability of "name brand," popular desserts offered all in one place, and in the UES where there's really not much competition. Specifically, they have Underwest Donuts (specialty cake doughnut place) and a great selection of ice cream/gelato from Oddfellows, Il Laboratorio del Gelato, and Van Leeuwen. The rest of the store is shelved with all the chocolate and candies you could want, ranging from specialty, artisanal brands like Raaka to old school childhood favorites like Sour Patch Kids.

I meant to only buy one doughnut but instead walked away with three...and two scoops of ice cream.

Underwest Donuts -- I tried the jasmine (surprisingly strong and very delicious tea flavor), dark chocolate (can't go wrong with abundance of dark chocolate), and maple (this one I could've done without...I was tempted by the cute little piece of stroopwafel on top, but the maple flavor was light and just tasted sugary). Texture of the donuts was crumbly and relatively light/not too dense, although it was a bit on the dry side (perhaps because I went at the end of the day?). I sort of liked the cakey crumble though.



Ice Cream -- I had the Oddfellows coconut milk chocolate and some off the menu chocolate malt flavor. The chocolate malt gelato was super creamy and perfect. The coconut milk chocolate was probably the first Oddfellows flavor I've really enjoyed -- lots of shredded coconut + chocolate bits.



They're also famous for their Butter Crunch, but I'll have to go back another time to try that.

Finally, super friendly staff made it an even happier experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment