Sunday, July 30, 2017

Kyo Ya

It's hard for me to pick "favorite" restaurants in NYC because there are so many different types of cuisines, but regardless of mood or occasion, Kyo Ya is one of my absolute favorites.

Of all the times I've gone, I've actually never ordered the Kaiseki menu because there are so many items on the a la carte that I love or want to try.

My staples include the following:
  • Pressed mackerel sushi: not many places do pressed sushi, and even fewer do mackerel well.  Mackerel is a such a strong flavored fish, but Kyo Ya does a great job with it and actually turned me from an indifferent mackerel eater to a saba lover.  Must try item, in my opinion.

 

  • Sweet potato tempura: so simple, but so good.  It's perfectly fried, and the dipping salt and soy sauce balance out the sweetness of the sweet potato very nicely.
  • Seasonal kamadaki (clay pot) rice: this takes a while, but it's a nice way to end the meal.  The rice is light, really highlighting the natural flavors of whatever seasonal ingredient you choose.  If you can't finish, they'll pack it up nicely for you, and you can ask for some pickles to go with it too.
  

And so many other delicious and beautiful morsels!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment