Thursday, November 30, 2017

Tonchin

Terrific ramen import from Tokyo.  The noodles were good, but the broths were the real winners.  We tried the classic tonkotsu and the spicy tan tan ramen.  The tonkotsu broth was very rich and milky and flavorful, yet it did not taste heavy.  I was even slurping the broth on its own, and normally I find ramen broth too heavy to drink as soup.  The spicy tan tan was just as good, if not better.  The ground pork and spice added more depth and complexity, and I was also slurping away at that one.

    

For appetizers, we tried the potato salad with snow crab and the okonomiyaki.  I would not normally order potato salad, but the waitress recommended it, and it was indeed delicious without being overdressed.  Okonomiyaki in general is one of my favorite foods ever, and it was pretty exciting for it to be served still in the skillet.  That said, the deep dish skillet meant it was a tall and fat okonomiyaki, which meant a chewy/fluffy inside.  It was good, but I personally am more used to flatter and crispier/less doughy okonomiyakis, so it wasn't my favorite stylistically (but again, nothing against their preparation...just personal preference).

  

I'm already looking forward to going back to try more items.

No comments:

Post a Comment