Monday, May 22, 2017

Sushi on Jones


I think it's very good sushi at this price point (12 pieces of sushi, omakase, for $50), but I would not rank it at the top of my favorites list.

Overall most pieces of fish met baseline expectations and were reasonably fresh, but nothing too memorable.  (To be fair though, I had somewhat high expectations given the hype.)  The Hokkaido uni was very good and creamy, and I'm glad it was served twice in the omakase -- once alone, and once on top of the wagyu; we also ordered the uni-wagyu hand roll, so I had it three times, but more on that in a bit.  The scallop and bluefin tuna were also quite good.  

The wagyu was the most disappointing for me.  The quality of the meat wasn't that great, and it was stringy/too chewy.  But having had wagyu in three pieces (once alone, once with uni sushi, once with uni in hand roll), I will say it got better with each one.  Perhaps it needed to be blow torched a bit longer to make up for the quality of the meat itself.

Despite not liking the wagyu much, I felt compelled to order the uni wagyu hand roll separately anyway (costs additional $12), and while I enjoyed the roll, it was really not worth $12.  It was small, but on the plus side, I felt like the uni-wagyu flavors were more balanced in the hand roll than the other uni-wagyu sushi.



Also, I was bummed that there was no crab and we instead had oyster.  I am totally okay with replacing pieces depending on what is fresh, but oyster seemed a bit too boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment