Sunday, July 15, 2018

Don Angie

A meal and experience that was totally worth the trouble of fighting for a reservation a month early.  Everything from the food to the service was exceptional.  Don Angie totally lives up to the hype and then some.

We started with the stuffed garlic flatbread and the BBQ calamari, which comes with pepperoni fried rice.  The calamari was very nicely cooked, and the pepperoni fried rice was almost paella-esque and delicious.

Then we tried all of the pastas except for the garganelli, since our waiter mentioned that it was a bit similar to the lasagna.  The pinwheel lasagna was not just for show (although it was quite a show), and it was one of the best lasagnas I've had -- plenty of sauce and cheese without being overly heavy considering the ingredients.  Even the bread on the side was so good that I couldn't stop eating it and scooping up extra sauce, even though I intended to skip the bread since we had a lot of pasta.

Of the other pastas, I also quite liked the sopressini and smoked mussels -- a lighter pasta with more complex flavor to balance out the cheese and salt in the others.  The buffalo milk caramelle was also quite good, and I liked the creaminess of the buffalo, but the cantaloupe and black sesame flavors didn't really come through.  Finally, the gnocchi was a bit different from what I expected and was cheesier and heavier than what I'm used to; not bad, but different.

For mains, we only tried the chicken scarpariello, which was good but not as standout relative to the pastas.  The chicken was actually very well cooked and tender (not dry at all), but my favorite part was the sauce.

Finally, no meal is complete without dessert.  We had the black cocoa tiramisu and the honey zeppole, and A+ for both.  The tiramisu looked pretty boring, but it was one of the best I've had.  The black cocoa probably stained my teeth all black, but I couldn't stop eating it -- perfect combination of creaminess and crunch of the cake at the bottom.  The zeppoles were served nice and warm, and not only were they Instagram worthy, they were probably also the best zeppoles I've had, and up there with the best of the doughnuts.

So...clearly we enjoyed the meal, but I also wanted to give a shout out to the amazing service too.  Our waiter was so knowledgeable about the menu, gave great suggestions, and was just overall pleasant and helpful and friendly.

Two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment