Saturday, December 31, 2016

Sushi Seki

We tried the Seki sushi dinner (sushi pieces with Seki's special toppings on the fish), as the non-traditional pairings seem to be the hype here.  It was good on average, but there's a lot of good sushi places in the city, and I wouldn't call this my favorite (but wouldn't mind going back to try the omakase).


What I liked -- yellowtail jalapeno and spicy scallop roll were my favorites.  The spicy scallop roll didn't come with the dinner, but we swapped it out for $2 extra, and it was worth it.  The spicy tuna roll was also better than average.  The smoked salmon sushi was flavorful; the hint of smokiness complemented the fattiness of the fish.

The tuna with tofu sauce was good but not amazing, considering that seems to be a specialty item, and the "famous" salmon with sauteed tomato was a let down for me...the flavors didn't seem to gel at all, and the salmon tasted bland next to the acidity of the tomato.  The eggplant was pretty tasty actually, but I would've preferred another fish.  And the chopped toro sushi was fine, but a whole piece of toro would've been better (obviously).  The rice was a bit hard/undercooked for me personally.  Other pieces good but not super memorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment