Saturday, February 25, 2017

Bessou

There's a long list of new restaurants I'd like to visit, but very few that I would care to go back to once I've tried; Bessou makes that short list.

Between two people, we ordered two small plates, three large, and two desserts.  Zero leftovers.  Plenty of other things on the menu I'd like to try next time.  Only negative is everything seemed to be a bit overpriced for what it was, but we enjoyed a good meal overall.

Grilled romaine with soy quail egg, jako, sesame dressing -- I was skeptical, but this surprised on the upside.  The salted jako fish and dressing paired really well with the grilled romaine.



Uni with crispy rice -- we went with the added ikura option too.  This was my favorite.  Crispy rice was crunchy on the outside and chewy and sticky on the inside.  Good portion of uni.  The spicy sauce wasn't really spicy, but it had a hint of sweetness that went well with the uni and slightly vinegary rice.



Inaniwa udon with tempura -- option to get udon cold or hot; we went for cold since that was the chef's recommendation; we also added prawn tempura.  The noodles were refreshing, but the tempura was amazing.  Definitely get the prawn tempura option.


Chicken karaage -- spices on the chicken were good and unique, and the chicken was pretty juicy.  Tzatziki sauce on the side didn't add much though; I actually preferred the chicken without the tzatziki.  The dish came with roasted kabocha on the side; I love kabocha, but found it to be a bit dry.



Beef short rib kakuni -- this dish was very well done as expected, but it was the least "special" and unique; we enjoyed it though, and the meat was very tender.


Dessert:

 Ice cream trio -- flavors of the night were cookies and cream (with shortbread cookies and soybean?), miso salted caramel, coconut red bean sorbet, and roasted matcha; we decided to skip the green tea and go for the other 3 since that seemed the least special, even though we were warned that people either love or hate the miso, but most people hate it (appreciate the honesty up front!).  I'd agree -- the miso was interesting and okay as a first flavor, but after having the other flavors, I couldn't stomach the saltiness and miso flavor again.  Best one was probably the cookies and cream.  I'm all for unique flavors, but not sure I'd care to order again.

Cannoli with black sesame shell and chocolate yuzu cream -- pretty good and glad I tried, but probably wouldn't order this again next time either.

No comments:

Post a Comment