Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Harry & Ida's Luncheonette

I was excited that Harry & Ida's opened up near work and would be offering healthier lunch plates in addition to their signature pastrami sandwich.  In addition, I was most excited about their burnt sugar babka soft serve, but two visits and multiple phone calls later, that soft serve is still not available, despite being on the menu!

Anyway, the pastrami here is very tender despite being cut in thicker chunks like brisket.  Compared to other places, it's less salty, which I like, and is served on a roll instead of slices of rye bread.  The sandwich overall is great.



Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the lunch plate I had.  For your base, you can choose between turnip noodles, egg noodles, grains, or greens; I picked the turnip noodles, which were actually very good -- thin ribbons of turnip.  The sides were less exciting though.  I got the carrots, which were fine but really nothing memorable, and the broccoli stems, which were extremely bitter and overcooked and mushy.  Fortunately for me, I added the bluefish salad on top, and that was good, because I'm not sure I could've kept eating just the bitter broccoli by itself.

My advice would be to stick to the sandwiches.  And hopefully that soft serve will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment