Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Eddy

Very cute and quaint restaurant.

My favorite item was the langos (a Hungarian fried bread, kind of like a savory doughnut).  We got all three add-ons to try, and I enjoyed them, but I would've also enjoyed the bread itself.  The bread was airy and not dense, although a bit oily considering it's fried.

  For other starters, we got the red endive salad, chicken liver skewers, and veal sweetbreads.  The red endive salad was fine but not memorable other than the pretty plating (but small portion for the price).  Chicken liver and sweetbreads are both acquired tastes, and I'll admit I'm okay with both but not the biggest fan of either, so I'll stay neutral on these items.

  For mains, we got the beef cheek goulash and the ribeye, which were both great.  I was expecting the goulash to be more like a stew (and a larger portion), but it was served more dry on a plate.  Despite that, I enjoyed the flavor, and the beef was very tender.  The steak also surprised on the upside.  It was cooked to a perfect medium-rare as ordered, and the meat itself was well-seasoned.  It came with a side of grits and a romaine salad with watermelon radish, which had a nice tartness to it to balance the fattiness of the meat.

Finally, we ended with the sacher torte and blanc mange for dessert.  As a chocolate lover, I expected to like the sacher torte more, but it was the blanc mange that was the winner for the table, especially with the espresso granita.

No comments:

Post a Comment