Monday, November 14, 2016

Queens Comfort

We went for brunch and enjoyed the food, but it was not so amazing that I would go out of my way to go or to wait in line.

Experience: 
We arrived at 10am on Sunday (when they open), and as expected, there was a long line already; unfortunately we just missed the first wave of seating and had to wait about 40 minutes (for a party of 4).  Host James Avatar was super friendly and fun(ny), making the time go by faster.  Getting a doughnut while waiting in line also helps tremendously.  Once inside, it was a fun vibe with the DJ spinning, but I thought the noise level was way too loud.  It felt like a club and less of a restaurant; we were all shouting to hear each other and ultimately just stopped talking.

Food: 
Overall, the small plates were great, but the entrees were not as exciting as they sounded.  The doughnut was terrific though -- it was almost like a cake and was served warm.  The flavor of the day was apple cider crumb with vanilla cinnamon glaze; delicious, although I can see how it can be hit or miss depending on the flavor.  



For small plates, I would highly recommend the atomic fireballs (fried mac & cheese ball), fried stuffing balls, the empanadas (we had shepherd's pie empanadas).  We also tried the disco tots after reading all the reviews, but they were nothing special, just tots with cheese.  



For mains, I tried the benedict over plantain (I forget what it's called...The Row Boat?  Big Row?) and that was pretty unique and tasty.  My husband got the Pig Mac.  The fried pork tenderloin (sort of like a schnitzel) was huge and very thin; on its own, it tasted a bit dry, but it was better with the sandwich.  Good but not great.  Another person in our party got the chicken and waffle, which is normally one of my favorite items; I can't comment on the taste since I didn't try it, but it looked pretty plain vanilla, sadly.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment