Saturday, April 8, 2017

Atoboy

Everything was good; half the dishes we tried were terrific, but the other half less memorable.

The really good -- lotus root, octopus, and pork jowl.  The lotus root was probably my favorite -- creative, light, and flavorful all at the same time.  The octopus also surprised on the upside; I love octopus and order it at a lot of places, but this was different because 1) the octopus was fried and had a slightly crunchy exterior while maintaining a perfectly soft and chewy inside, and 2) the chorizo-kimchi sauce was delicious.  Finally, the pork jowl was nicely fried and tender, and the barley on the side was a nice complement -- slightly sweet to balance out the salt, and barley itself is always refreshing.

    

As for the other dishes, the egg with uni was rich and creamy and good, but it didn't wow as much as some of the others.  The sunchoke had a generous helping of black truffle, but it felt like a mushroom dish (I forgot it was a sunchoke dish...good thing I like mushrooms).  The fried chicken looked over fried but was actually okay.  The chicken itself was nothing special, but I did love the spicy peanut butter (it didn't taste spicy but did have a nice tang to it).  Finally, the sea bass was probably the least special.  It's essentially a sea bass tartare with a bit of a kick to it. 



      

As for dessert, we tried the sujeonggwa granita, which is essentially cinnamon ice over yogurt.  Can't say I've had anything like it before, and I enjoyed it and am glad I tried it.  That said, I don't think I'd care to order it again.




An enjoyable meal and I wouldn't mind coming again, especially if I'm in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment