Monday, April 24, 2017

Shorty Tang Noodles

It was good, but I was hoping to be amazed given the hype and news around the secret family recipes and best sesame noodles in NY...and I was not amazed, unfortunately.

To be fair, the cold sesame noodles are probably the best I've tried in NYC in recent memory, at least, but they're very far from the above average sesame noodle in other US cities.  The sauce was nice and creamy (good ol' peanut butter), but the noodles were overcooked and not chewy.  I think the sauce was also borderline too peanut buttery; as much as I love peanut butter and have no issue with it as an ingredient in sesame noodles, I don't want noodles that taste like peanut butter noodles.  I think some extra fixings, like julienned cucumbers, would've been good.  For bonus points maybe offer a version with shredded chicken and make sure the chicken isn't dry; I've yet to have a decent cold sesame noodle with chicken here.

The beef noodle soup was decent.  They had a good chili sauce on the side, so we could add spice according to taste.  The beef could've been a little more tender, and I would've appreciated more variety in cut of meat (e.g., tendon).  The daikon was a nice touch and delicious, but there was only one tiny piece total.  These noodles were nicely al dente an chewy.

For appetizers, we tried the steamed sticky rice pork ribs and the pork hock.  The pork ribs were tender, but not that meaty.  I quite liked the pork hock though.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment