Saturday, April 8, 2017

Pinch Chinese

A+ for food, but be warned portion sizes are smaller than average and prices are higher than average.  But honestly, it's been a while since I've tried a new place and actually enjoyed every dish ordered, so no complaints from me.

One of my biggest gripes about the sub-par Chinese food scene in NYC is that there is not enough specialization, and many restaurants try to do everything (e.g., a Cantonese restaurant serving soup dumplings), so all the food is meh.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about Pinch offering a pan-regional menu, but having tried a variety of things, I now realize that with the right chef, a pan-regional Chinese restaurant can be great too.

   Soup dumplings -- I've been wishing for a Din Tai Fung in NYC for years and was nervous and afraid to be disappointed, knowing that the chef is from Din Tai Fung, but I'm happy to report that it was great.  The skin was thin as I had hoped, although compared to DTF, the dumplings are smaller, a bit saltier, and pricier.  They were nice and soupy though, and the thin skin is a winner.

 Cumin ribs -- I was planning on trying these anyway, but really had to order it after seeing that they quoted a fellow Yelper for the menu description ("'tender fall-off-the-bone ribs,' - Jocelyn, from Yelp")...literally lol...I wonder if she knows she's being quoted.  Anyway, they were as good as advertised.  Great flavor, and the meat was just slightly crispy on the edges while the meat was "tender fall-off-the-bone."

 Dan dan noodles -- this item is offered at so many restaurants, I almost didn't want to order it, but I'm glad I did.  The noodles were perfectly al dente and "Q," and the sauce was the right balance of salt and spice.

 Wind sand chicken -- apparently this chicken is marinated for 2 days, and it's the most expensive thing on the menu at $45, but I would not hesitate to order it again.  I started off with a piece of white meat, and it was juicy and tender, and the rest is history.  Skin was crispy (maybe could've been a little crispier), and garlic on top added great flavor without being heavy.

Buddha's delight -- I needed some veggies so went for what I thought would be the lightest thing on the menu.  My husband made a face when it came out (it looks bland), but it was well seasoned, and he ate his fair share of veggies with no prompting on my part.

Overall, very happy to find a good quality Chinese restaurant, and I look forward to going back to try more items on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment