Tuesday, September 6, 2016

NYC Poké Bowls Review

Poké bowls have finally made it to the east coast and have gotten quite popular over the past year.  I've been on a quest to try as many places as possible, so I figured I should share my favorites.

Chikarashi
In my opinion, Chikarashi has the best poké bowls.  Simple, but flavorful.  Fresh fish.  Sushi rice.  We tried the Sichuan chili salmon and the seared toro suji.  The salmon bowl was terrific, although the seared toro wasn't as amazing as I had hoped.  My friend also tried the goma shoyu tuna and really enjoyed that one.  Portion size is on the smaller side for the regular bowl.  They also have Dole whip for dessert, which is exciting for many, but I'm personally not a huge fan so didn't try.

Sichuan chili salmon: Scottish salmon, sichuan/sansho mayo, furikake, kyuri, shoyu daikon, katsuo panko



Seared toro suji: seared bluefin toro suji, shoyu, negi, lime zest, garlic chips

Pokéworks
I think second place goes to Pokéworks.  What's great about Pokéworks is the amount of customization you can do.  You can pick two types of fish for a regular bowl, or three for a large, and they have a large assortment of mix-ins, sauces, and toppings to choose from, which allows you to make it as simple or complex as you like.  Slight minus for normal rice and not sushi rice.

   


Sons of Thunder
Third place.  The fish is good quality, but they all come with standard salad greens (a bit weird, in my opinion), large chunks of cucumbers (as opposed to thinly sliced), seaweed salad, and tobiko.  There are a few other topping options, but not many.  Also slight minus for regular rice and not sushi rice.




Nikai (Treehaus, 2nd Fl)
This is my go-to poké bowl place during work.  They don't mix it for you, but it's a healthy portion of fish and mix-ins (avocado, seaweed salad, onions, shredded carrot, scallions, sesame), and once you add the sauce and mix on your own, it's pretty good.  No special toppings and only one sauce though.  But it is sushi rice!  That said, I actually prefer their sushi burrito, specifically the spicy tuna burrito, which has crab salad in it.  (P.S. The tuna bowl is good, but the salmon is not.)







No comments:

Post a Comment